Shooting sports are inherently expensive, there is no way around it, and as much as my gun buying habit has cost me a small fortune, ammo is ultimately the biggest expense. The best way to get better at anything is practice, but practicing your draw (which is not allowed at many ranges) and lining up your sight picture quickly and effectively can be very costly using live ammo. Enter: the iDryFire Training System.
It essentially utilizes a simple firing pin activated laser on a modified brass snap-cap. Combine this with their simple but effective training app and you have a much more cost friendly and fun way to do dry fire training. Although the MSRP on the laser cartridge is $105.00 on the iDryFire website, it can be found for under $60 + $9.99 s/h on amazon using the links below. The app was $14.99 when I purchased it, so my total was $76 all in. That’s one day’s worth of range ammo for myself and my girlfriend so the savings are obvious.
- Available in 9mm, 45 ACP, 45 Colt, 40 S&W, .380 ACP and even .223 Remington for the AR fans out there
- Huge ammo savings for holster draw, dry fire, and sight work
- Simple app interface
- Seemingly sturdy laser cartridge
- Use your own targets
- The app is a little pricey
- The cartridge gets somewhat lodged in the barrel and you have to tap it out with a pencil, etc.
- The app can be picky about the background and lighting around the target
4 1/2 of 5 stars
If they tweak the app this training system is a no brainer for those who want to improve without dumping quite as much money into ammo.
The best price I have found is using the links below for Amazon
Let me know what other items you would like to see reviews on. It gives me an excuse to buy more gun stuff (not that I need one)
-Alex, Editor in Chief